The Montessori Method of education was developed by Dr. Maria Montessori and includes a child-centered educational approach. The Montessori approach includes uninterrupted blocks of work time, guided choice of work activity and specifically designed Montessori materials to use for learning.
In early childhood, Montessori students learn through sensory-motor activities, working with materials that develop their cognitive powers through direct experience: seeing, hearing, touching and movement.
The benefits of a Montessori Education include the following:
- Each child is viewed as a unique individual. The Montessori Method accommodates all learning styles. Students also learn and advance through the curriculum at their own pace, guided by the teacher and an individualized learning plan.
- Beginning at an early age, Montessori students develop order, coordination, concentration and independence. The classroom design, materials and daily routines help support this advancement.
- Montessori students enjoy freedom with limits. Montessorians understand that internal satisfaction drives the child’s curiosity and interest and results in joyous learning that is sustainable over a lifetime.
- Students are supported in becoming active seekers of knowledge.
- A hallmark of Montessori education is its hands-on approach to learning. Students work with specially designed materials, manipulating and investigating until they master the lesson inside.
- The classroom Montessori materials are unique and support a Montessori education. They include manipulatives, tactile objects, practical life and sensorial materials.
With a Montessori education Montessori students become confident, enthusiastic and self-directed learners.
The Montessori at Trinity Oaks is a Preschool that offers an academic based childcare program in the Trinity, New Port Richey and Pasco County areas.